Tuesday 9 December 2014

Another Musical Interlude - South African Music


In an earlier post, I thought about songs, musicians and composers that inspired me. Not one of those songs or pieces of music were from a South African musician or band, so I thought I’d rectify that and take a look at the wealth of artists our country has given to the world.

In South Africa during the 1980s, times were turbulent. The country was in the grip of a National State of Emergency, and this gave the state almost unlimited powers to detain anyone (without trial) for expressing an opinion contrary to the hegemonic patriarchy of the day. This gave rise to an unprecedented period of musical opposition. International bands were beginning to take notice, and some incredible protest songs were produced. South African bands no less so; however, because of the perfidious Detention without Trial, these musicians had to get creative with their protests. I’ve put together a list of songs which were part of my early and late teens. Each represents a song that had a special meaning for me.


Best Golden Oldie - the one that started it all

 One of the first songs I remember hearing by a South African musician is Kinders van die Wind (Children of the Wind) by Koos Du Plessis. This song has enjoyed a long life, thanks to singer Laurika Rauch, who performs it to perfection. Although Laurika's version is best known today, I have included the original in tribute to the songwriter. 

 

Best International Struggle Song


 There are a few songs which could be mentioned here, but for me, it was Biko by Peter Gabriel. A South African by birth, he fronted the hugely successful Genesis before embarking on a stellar solo career. His poignant tribute to Steven Biko, who died at the hands of prison guards in one of the most shameful acts in a sea of shameful acts this country endured, is a musical tour de force and still resonates today. I cannot hear this song without wondering how much richer a nation we would have been if Mr Biko had not been taken so young. 


Best English speaking Struggle Song 

The tragedy of the human condition is nowhere better expressed than in Bright Blue's song Weeping. It is quite simply one of the most beautiful songs ever written. 


The Granddaddy of South African Music 

No list of South African music can ever exclude the incredible Johnny Clegg. His first band, Juluka, formed with close friend Sipho Mchunu burst onto the music scene in South Africa in the late 1970s. The international markets quickly embraced him, and he became known as Le Zoeloe Blanc (the White Zulu) in France, where his concert in 1992 outsold Michael Jackson's. Juluka gave way to Johnny Clegg and Savuka, and further success ensued. As a sought after solo artist, Johnny Clegg still performs today, and his son Jesse is making a name for himself as a musician also. A lot of the songs that Juluka and Suvuka produced were struggle songs, and the best of these is Asimbonanga (we have not seen him) written for Nelson Mandela during his incarceration on Robben Island.  If you watch the clip all the way to the end, the great man himself, Tata Madiba, makes an appearance.




The first song of Juluka's that I ever heard was Scatterlings of Africa, which spoke to me on a very personal level. I am one of the scatterlings, and I feel the red earth in my veins and the copper sun on my skin. 


Best Campus Band- English 

For me, this is and always will be The Spectres. I met the band at university, and loved them from the beginning. More pop and less struggle, nonetheless, the band was very politically sentient and were ardent members of the End Conscription Campaign. Their song "Teddy Bear" enjoyed national radio play, and is probably their best-known song. However, the title track from the album Be-Bop Pop called Vox Populi (the voice of the people) is my favourite. I can't choose between the two, so I offer them both for your listening pleasure. 





Best Campus Band - Afrikaans 

During the 1980s, disaffected Afrikaners began a musical revolution. It started with the Voelvry (free as a bird) tour, and produced Afrikaans musicians such as Koos Kombuis, Gereformeerde Blues Band and many, many more. They opened the way for many South African musicians today, both English and Afrikaans. This was the birth of Afrikaans Alternative music, and I was thrilled to witness it first-hand. 

In 1998, an outdoor concert called "Houtstok" (Woodstock) was held. I went, and it was spectacular. The evening ended with Joos Tonteldoos en die Dwaarstrekkers putting a spin on "Wild Thing". 

You can hear the song here.  

Best Afrikaans Love Song 

 I can't offer a list of South African musicians without mentioning the incredibly talented late Ralph Rabie. As the leader of the Gereformeerde Blues Band he gained fame as Johannes Kerkorrel, bringing a scathing critique of white middle class indolence and complacency to life. He tragically took his own life in 2002. His beautiful ballad about Hillbrow, a suburb of Johannesburg in which I lived for 2 years, is nothing less than a love song. 


 Best Afrikaans Struggle Song 

This is a very controversial song, because the struggle it refers to is the Boer struggle during what is now known as the South African War (previously Anglo-Boer war). I've included it because this is part of my heritage too. My great-grandmother fought against the English in the South African War, and was interred in a concentration camp. It is a beautiful song, and pays tribute to a great leader


There are many artists and bands that I have left out, and the new generation of singers and songwriters are doing a fine job of keeping the flame alive. 

I am going to leave you with one last song. I love the energy of this song, and it never fails to get my feet tapping! Big by Qkumba Zoo. 





No comments:

Post a Comment