Sunday 12 October 2014

A musical interlude



Someone asked me a few days ago “what is the best song ever?”. I rather flippantly replied that asking me that is like asking me to pick which one of the bacteria in my stomach is my favourite. Then, I copped out and picked Guiseppe Verdi’s Marcia Trionfale (Triumphal March) from Aida. I have seen this performed live, and it is extraordinary. The trumpet solo gives me chills every time I hear it. I was roundly mocked for my choice. I know this is a long piece of music, so if you want to listen to the trumpet solo only, it starts at 3:48.




On the way home, I couldn’t stop thinking about it. How do you pick one song? You can’t. What I can, and did do is start a mental list. Here are some of my choices. I might need to pick this up again later.



Greatest cheesy 80s song sung by a drag queen


Divine’s you think you’re a man but you’re only a boy. I can’t get enough of this song. It is so intertwined in my consciousness with being a teenager in the 80s, and those were exciting (and tasteless) times to grow up in. I know it’s fashionable now to mock the 80s hair, clothes and music, but I am proudly a teen of the 80s, and I know where my loyalties lie. 




Cheesiest 80s song not sung by a drag queen


Live is Life by Opus. This one also gets a special mention for having the snare/bass drum riff most likely to make you use your clutch (or accelerator) pedal as a kick. 





Best Foreign language song


This is bittersweet for me, because I love German music very much. However, there is no question that the song “Mijn Vlakke Land” and “Le Plat Pays” – the same song sung in Flemish and French by the incomparable Jaques Brel, is the clear and outright winner. 

 





I would also like to throw out some love to Spider Murphy Gang, whose iconic song “Skandal um Rosie” was my introduction to German music and Bavarian Rock and Roll. Shhuuuaaaa! 





Best metal song


Because my metal tastes are vast, this was particularly challenging. But purely based on adrenaline, it has to be Motorhead’s Ace of Spades. 





Sexiest song


This is a controversial one, because there are quite a few contenders. I guess it all depends on what you mean by sexy, and I think we can all agree, that is embodied in Def Leppard’s Pour some Sugar on Me. 



If it were my personal choice though, it would be Nine Inch Nails' Closer.



Warning - video and lyrics are MOST definitely NOT SAFE FOR WORK

 

Best Song to Sing along to at 3:00 in the Morning on the way home from a Gig


Survive by Bella Clava. Not the greatest quality sound in this video, but they are amazing.




Full Disclosure – I know the drummer of Bella Clava personally. He is one of the kindest and most generous-spirited people ever. That had nothing to do with the choice of this song, I just relate so completely to the lyrics. The band is awesome, show them some love!



Best Rock Song




Whole Lotta Love by Led Zeppelin.





I know I’m not going to get a whole lotta argument here.



Do you agree? Vehemently disagree? Leave me your lists in the comments or mail me about this or anything  at anxietygirl999@gmail.com

4 comments:

  1. Live is Life- Best for Drum Sound checking. Sweet Action Bella Clava at 3am. Led Zeppelin has 3e's. Love it D. Rock on always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, unforgiveable! Have corrected it. Thanks for the love as always, J xx

      Delete
    2. You interested in the post of proof-reader? I'm so embarassed...

      Delete